Perth Scorchers’ Michael Klinger is set to retire from Big Bash League at the end of the season, he announced on Saturday (February 2).
“I have fantastic memories of my time with the Scorchers and I’d like to thank my teammates, coaching and support staff and all our fantastic fans for making my time so meaningful and enjoyable at this great club. Also, a huge thank you to my family for their continued unconditional support.
“This season so far has not gone to plan for both myself but more importantly the team and I’m looking forward to seeing the Scorchers get back to the top where we belong next season,” Klinger said.
“I’m looking forward to what the future holds for me in cricket either on or off the field.”
The 38-year old is the second highest run-scorer in the tournament’s history, with his record of 1917 runs being surpassed by Chris Lynn only a day before his retirement announcement.
Despite scoring prolifically in BBL, he managed to play only three matches for Australia – when a second-string side was fielded for a home series against Sri Lanka in February 2017. In the three matches, he scored 143 runs at a strike rate of 127.67 – including a personal best of 62.
However, Klinger endured his worst form in BBL history this season as he has managed to amass only 115 runs in 9 innings at a strike rate of 83.33, and was even dropped from the side.
Praising Klinger’s contribution to the club, teammate Adam Voges said, “Maxy’s contribution to the Perth Scorchers has been outstanding. On the field his record speaks for itself and he has played a huge part in our success in recent years. Off the field you will not meet a nicer person who always puts the team’s needs ahead of his own.”
Klinger will, however, feature in the T20 Blast later this year.